Sunday 5 July 2015

Being supply

Oh I am terrible... it's been so long since I've posted! 

Well, since I have finished at college for the summer and don't start at university until September; in the mean time I have signed up with a childcare agency to earn some pennies and keep me busy! This means that I am called on to cover in nurseries etc on an as and when needed basis.

So far I have covered in a few different nurseries around my own area and further afield. I just love being nosey at other people's set ups and it's great to spend time interacting with the children without the pressures of being a 'proper' full time member of staff.

I have worked in some beautiful purpose built nurseries, one of which had an absolutely amazing outdoor area! I have also been into some charming old buildings and wondered at how the space has been made into stimulating and enticing areas for the children.



Here are a few things that I would like to let staff know about when I (or others) come in as supply:


 Please introduce yourselves (and the children if possible) and don't be offended if I don't remember your name. If your name is Sarah and I worked with a Sara and Sally yesterday... it gets a bit confusing!


 Don't assume that I am less qualified than you just because I am supply. I actually have lots of experience and am highly qualified! I know what I'm doing. 


Having said this, don't feel like you need to leave me to my own devices,

 Feel free to give me jobs/ activities to do (Please do!) I do use my initiative and instigate activities as much as possible, but I don't want to step on any toes and would much rather work in line with your planning. I like to feel useful and I love being involved in the play and learning that's going on. That's why I'm here!


 It's really important to show me the basics (fire exits etc). I might only be here for one day but today could just be the day that I need to know.




I had not realised how much I was missing working with children until I got back into the nurseries. 
For example, I made a wonderful connection with a little boy who was quite new while working last week. I was told by other staff that he rarely laughs and barely ever speaks English, and when he does it is very limited words. However as I spent time playing with the boy, I found him smiling and laughing, and later while drawing he was confidently repeating my English words and using some of his own to speak to me! 
I felt so privileged to be able to make this boy feel comfortable with me. 

I'm looking forward to exploring more settings and meeting more new people in the weeks to come. I will update again soon (I promise!)




Picture from www.twitter.com




P.S. In other news - I am now an official co-host of #childcarehour which is a twitter chat that takes part on Tuesday nights between 8:30 and 9:30. It is made up of a group of childcare and early years professionals as well as parents. Everyone is welcome! We speak about all kinds of different topics and have a friendly chat. If anyone is a twitter user I would encourage you to come along and join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment